We’re back for another special case study edition of the Finish More Music podcast, this week with Kris Brown, AKA Four Candles!
Kris is without question one of the most dedicated and committed members of the FMM community, but his journey has been far from plain sailing.
Starting off with just a keyboard and a wish to create the music he loved, Kris slowly but surely began to find his feet as a producer, releasing music under a number of different aliases and getting noticed by the right people.
This was until the growing demands of work, his personal life and a battle with mental health problems took over, and risked sabotaging all he’d been working towards.
But Kris came out the other side stronger, and more prolific, than ever before!
Now finds himself in a position where he’s got 20 tracks released in the last year alone! He’s also head honcho of his own killer record label, and is flooded with collaborations and remixes.
In this episode Kris dives deep into how he turned it around, as well as discussing the value of community, evaluating your worth as a producer, and how NOT to compare yourself to others.
This really is a super insightful interesting interview that I know everyone can take a ton away from.
If you’ve ever found yourself in the great balancing act that is life, work and making music – this one’s for you!
Check out Kris’ music on:
- Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/fourcandlesmusic/
- Beatport: https://www.beatport.com/artist/four-candles/438041
Follow and get in touch at:
- Don’t be too hard on yourself – everybody has to start somewhere.
- Focus on enjoying the process.
- Work within limitations to boost your creativity.
- Surround yourself with a group of like minded people to lift you up with them.
- “Get the music finished, get used to the process. And then the amount of things you learn on the way they all just drop into place.”
- “It doesn’t matter that you’re not at that level yet. What matters is that you’re on the pathway to that. And you’ve just got to let these things happen over time – keep putting the work in, keep putting the time in, and eventually the doors just start to open.”
Loved this episode? Now try these:
- FMM079 – Letting your chance slip through your fingers
- FMM058 – Weakening The Grip Perfectionism Has On You
- FMM055 – Sorley : Having The Focus To Make It
Thank you for listening!
I really appreciate you joining me and I hope you’re enjoying the topics and taking some real value into your music sessions.
If this episode resonated with you and you feel it will have a positive impact on the people you know, please share it by using the social media buttons you see at the bottom of this page.
To make sure you are always the first to know when a new episode lands: Subscribe here.
One of the things that helps people decide if a podcast is for them, is the review section. If you’re enjoying the episodes and feel they will add value for other music producers, please leave a 60 second review and rating. Thank you 🙂